Tuesday, June 2, 2015

April - Anzacs , emotions and OPAM

April - Australia's month of remembrance.
.
ANZAC Day  25 April 2015
 This is a photo heavy post.  It is important to me, and maybe I've shared a little too much, but it is what I felt I needed to say.
We were able to fly to Brisbane to take the boys to see the Brisbane ANZAC Day march.  We were all excited for different reasons.

It was only the 3rd time the boys have flown, they are finally old enough to understand / appreciate / worry about the flight.  We left school early on Friday to fly to Brisbane.
 E boarded the plane
 and enjoyed the view from the window.

We arrived in Brisbane on Friday night and headed into the city on Saturday to see Granddad march in the parade.  My Dad (Granddad) is a Vietnam veteran and one we are very proud of.  I've only been able to see Dad march in an Anzac parade in person a handful of times.  It was going to be an emotional day.  He didn't march when we were kids and his corp have reunions to coincide with Anzac Day now, so each year they are in a different town for Anzac Day, not to mention that we live 600km away from my parents.
 The boys and Dad before we left home

 my wonderful parents.

 The Shrine of Remembrance in Anzac square Brisbane.  It was so moving, to be permitted inside the shrine and to see all of the memorial tributes laid there.

 Dad & E had a moment of reflection and explanation.

 It was then time for the march, Mum & my sister Susan, had their Aussie flag headband on.

 We clapped, cheered, waved  & thumbs up-ed the service personnel both past & present.

 This it was time for Dad's corp to march past.  Ordnance Field Park Vietnam. 
  This is the only photo I manged to take, I was crying clapping and cheering too hard.

  
T (my eldest child) clapped for the whole march.  The next day he commented how sore his hand were.

Now, onto the sewing part of the month.
Dad's birthday was in January, I had told him I would make his gift.  I had an idea, I just had to make it a reality and my self imposed deadline was Anzac Day.

As you are aware, I sew quilts for Aussie Hero Quilts.  Mum & Dad are very supportive of my sewing and know the difference that support from home makes to our service personnel.  I decided Dad needed his own Aussie Hero Quilt.

The quilt started with searching the stash for Dad appropriate fabric ... the photos of which seem to have disappeared.....
There were  tape measures & tools for his love of 'handiman' things
Australia maps & Australian town names for his love of travel
some colourful mustache for his love of quirky & the fact I have never seen Dad without facial hair.

I then found some photos of significance for him.

 
this great photo is from the Australian War Memorial Vietnam Collection, that is Dad in Vietnam at a concert.

This photo was Dad & the boys in the Roma Anzac Day March in 2012
 The other photos were of international locations that Mum and Dad have seen in their travels.

 Was Dad surprised?  Was I a little teary?  Is Dad my Aussie Hero?
Yes, Yes, Yes.

 This quilt is bigger than a regular Aussie Hero Quilt as it didn't need to go overseas in a box.  It is now living in My & Dad's lounge room where it serves a practical purpose.  A quilted hug.

Before we knew it our weekend was over and it was back on the plane to return to Roma for school & work on Monday. 
 Bye Brisbane

 Thanks for being my Dad, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely post Debra... and a lovely quilt too...very special
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thanks for stopping by. If you've enjoyed reading, please leave me a note. Have a great crafty day. Debra

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...